There are two ways to connect a device to the ChemNet wired network.
- Switch off the machine's wireless network adapter if it has one
- Plug the device into a live network socket
- Open a web browser. You should be automatically taken to the registration page but if you are not you can browse to it at http://selfreg.ch.private.cam.ac.uk
- Follow the on screen instructions to register a shared machine
- Please tell the Computer Officers if the machine later moves to another location or changes owner. This is especially important to do if the original owner leaves the department and the machine stays, as we will eventually disable network access for hardware where the owner has left.
If the device is personal then there is no need to register it as the owner can put it on the network using their personal ChemNet credentials. These may be used to connect any number of personal devices. See below for details of how to set up wired network access with personal credentials. If you want to connect to the wireless network, please see our ChemNet Wireless Network pages instead as the process is different.
Personal ChemNet credentials can be downloaded from https://apps.ch.cam.ac.uk/ssms/collectchemnet .
Instructions for wired personal Windows machines
Instructions for wired personal Linux machines
nb Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial currently (18/8/16) has a bug which prevents use of wired ChemNet, although wireless works fine. Contact the Computer Officers to get a wired connection set up for a personal 16.04 machine.
Instructions for wired personal Macs
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help. We believe the majority of personal Macs use wireless connections so have not yet written step by step instructions for wired personal Macs.