Please note that users of managed linux computers in Theory, Molecular Informatics and Atmospheric Sciences should instead view these instructions.
You will first need to find out the name of the printer(s) you wish to use, which should be of the form
printername.ch.private.cam.ac.uk. This may be printed on a label on the printer, or you can ask your group computer rep.
Departmentally-managed linux computers are configured to print using CUPS. The Computer Officers may be able to arrange for your group printers to be automatically configured for all managed linux computers in your research group; please contact us if you would like to discuss this.
Alternatively, to manually add a new printer, open a web browser and type http://localhost:631 into the address bar (or click on the http://localhost:631 link if you are reading these instructions on the computer you wish to add a printer to). Then:
- Click "Administration" in the bar across the top of the page
- Click the "Add printer" button
- If the printer you wish to add appears in the list, select it and click Continue. Otherwise, scroll to the bottom and chose Appsocket/HP JetDirect in the "Other network printers" section
- In the connection box, type
socket://printername.ch.private.cam.ac.uk(substituting the name of the printer you wish to connect to) and click next.
- On the next screen, enter a Name, Description and Location of your choosing and click next.
- Choose the Make and Model of your printer from the lists that appear. If the printer model you are trying to add is not listed, please contact the Computer Officers. Then click the Add printer button. Finally, you may be asked to set some default options for the printer - if unsure, leave these at the default values.