How to get help
There's a lot of information on this website - you might like to see our A-Z index, or use the Search box at the top of the page. If you can't find what you want, there are a variety of ways of getting IT support.
Checklist for starters
Most people starting in the Department of Chemistry or SPRI will want to do at least some of the following things.
- Get registered
- Apply for computer accounts
- Collect your passwords
- Change your passwords
- Get network connections for your hardware
- Read your Cambridge email
- Get software
- Access printers
- Get some other help with computers
Everyone using computer facilities in Chemistry or SPRI needs to have an entry in the Admin Database. For Chemistry people, please fill in and return the paper registration form you will have been given when you arrived. For SPRI people arrangements are made automatically. Until your data has been entered onto the database you cannot connect computers to the network or get computer accounts.
Applying for computer passwords
Most people will want two passwords: an Admitto password (for accessing things belonging to the Department of Chemistry and SPRI), and a UIS password for accessing Hermes (Cambridge email) and Raven (web resources, for example journals).
- To apply for a UIS password, email email@example.com with the following information. A colleague may do this on your behalf if needed, even in advance of your arrival in Cambridge. New postgraduate students don't need to apply as their UIS accounts are automatically set up in advance.
- Full name
- Academic title
- Date of birth
- Start date
- End date
- Status (either staff or visitor)
- Whether you have previously been registered in the University of Cambridge and if so
- Any other names you may have previously used in the University of Cambridge
- Your CRSID if known
- Admitto accounts are set up automatically once you are registered (see above) ie the Admin Database knows about you and has your CRSID recorded. If you cannot wait for the normal registration process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and explain the situation, or have a colleague do that for you.
Collecting your computer passwords
To collect your UIS password go to https://jackdaw.cam.ac.uk/signup/ .
To collect your Admitto password either visit one of the computer offices in Chemistry with photo id, or if you have a UIS or Raven password collect it online at https://apps.ch.cam.ac.uk/ssms/collectpassword
Change your passwords
To change your UIS password go to https://password.csx.cam.ac.uk/
To change your Admitto password go to https://apps.ch.cam.ac.uk/ssms/changepassword
Read your Cambridge email
The quickest way to get started is to use webmail. Go to https://webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/
If you want to use a more powerful email program please see our email pages.