Admitto is the Department of Chemistry and SPRI authentication service. It provides a username and password that can be used for accessing resources in Chemistry and SPRI. The software that provides Admitto is called Active Directory.
Things you might like to do related to this:
- Get an Admitto account for yourself. Admitto accounts are created automatically for new people joining the department once your registration form is processed, provided you supplied your CRSiD. If you can't wait for the automatic process, contact the Computer Officers. You may also find it useful to check the account creation flowchart which describes what information you'll need to provide.
- Check if you have an Admitto account
- Collect your Admitto password if you have requested one (N.B. this is the random password assigned upon account creation. If you have since forgotten your password, please use the password reset facility)
- Change your Admitto password
- Reset a lost Admitto password
- Advice on how choose an Admitto password
- Get an Admitto account set up in advance for someone else who will be joining your group in the department. Follow the account creation flowchart here.
Current list of services using Admitto or Active Directory
These use the Admitto username and password for login. In addition the Active Directory manages the installation of software patches and virus updates. This occurs invisibly to the user and requires no additional action other than to approve an occasional system reboot when requested. More details at our page about managed Windows workstations.
Managed Apple Macs
These use the Admitto username and password for login.
These use the Admitto username and password for login. More details at our page about managed linux workstations.
Users can access their own or shared data on departmental secured file servers using their Admitto username and password. However please note that additional Access Control Lists (ACLs) often prevent anyone other than bona fide members of groups actually accessing group data. More details at our page about fileservers.
This service authenticates a remote user to the chemistry network, so whilst active a user's machine will have access to all applications and electronic data (storage, journals) as if they were physically located in the building. However performance will still be governed by the network bandwidth and latency at the remote location. More details at our page about the VPN service.
Chemistry Admin database
This database contains departmental administrative data. Access to the database as a whole and specific areas within the database is limited to those who need it to perform their job.
Virtualised web servers
Whilst anyone can read departmental web sites the ability to edit and update sites held on virtualised web servers is controlled by the Active Directory. Login for editing purposes is via the Admitto username and password. The list of sites which a user account can edit is stored in the Active Directory.
This provides SSH access from outside the department to Chemistry via the Admitto username and password.
Subversion version control system
Provides a shared version control system and uses Admitto usernames and passwords.
The compute servers use Admitto passwords for login. See the documentation for the individual servers for details.
Account management tools
Some tools for managing Admitto accounts are available at https://apps.ch.cam.ac.uk/ssms.