Installing Ubuntu Linux Workstations
This is all controlled from the admin database. We use FAI to install the machines. These instructions are for Computer Officers.
- In the database find your machine in the 'System Image Autoinstaller' view
- Set its MAC address and architecture
- Set its OS to Ubuntu XX.XX (16.04 is current)
- Check its FAI classes. Add any extra tags that seem appropriate. Some FAI classes are caluclated from the research group the machine is a part of, so you may need to change the group membership.
- Set it to install on next boot
- Netboot it
The autoinstaller should detect previous Linux installs. It will format any root or /boot partition it finds but keep other partitions. If it doesn't find a root partition it will wipe the disk and start over. So don't try this without a backup. If you want to wipe the disk, use the DSK_NUKE flag.