A Department-wide Active directory has been implemented with the aims of:
- Centralising and simplifying the systems administration of desktop and server computer systems.
- Simplifying user access through allowing multiple services to use a common access mechanism. Thus, one password, the Admitto password, is used to access different computer services.
- For desktops that are centrally managed the following is delivered via the Active Directory Domain:
- Optional roaming profiles - ie you get the same settings on each machine you log in on.
- Software deployment remotely over the network
- Operating system updates and patches
- Virus detection updates for windows machines