skip to content

Resignation, notice period, leavers's questionnaire

Currently due to the Covid-19 situation, if you are leaving the department please complete the Department Leavers Form (below) digitally and email it to the relevant individuals for signing off. The leaver's questionnaire is still live, pelase click the link below to access this.

  • To resign from employment, please give four-weeks notice in writing to Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager.
  • Research staff must inform their PI/supervisor in writing, also providing 4 weeks' notice.
  • Please complete the Departmental Leavers Form and return it to Reception before your last day.
  • Assistant, Academic related and Academic staff are asked to complete the Leaver's Questionnaire, which helps inform the department of their experience here in Chemistry.
  • Research staff have their own Exit questionnaire on the Postdoc pages.

Termination of fixed and limited term appointments

If your post is supported by funds received from outside the University and/or if you have been appointed on a temporary basis to meet a specific need or to undertake a specific project, we will notify you of the date your appointment terminates when you are appointed. You are encouraged to enquire of your PI/supervisor well in advance of the termination date whether your appointment is likely to be extended.

  • Three months prior to the end date of your fixed or limited term appointment - You will receive automated monthly email reminders of your end date until either you leave or an extension is confirmed. Please respond to these emails if you feel that the information contained in them and the Departmental database is wrong.
  • Consultation meeting - Prior to the end of your fixed or limited term appointment, you and your PI/supervisor will receive a letter requesting that you arrange a consultation meeting to discuss whether your contract will be extended or come to an end. At the end of the meeting, you and your PI/supervisor complete Form PD7 confirming the outcome. The completed form, signed by both of you, should be returned to Emma Graham, Personnel Administrator. If you wish to receive redeployment assistance from the HR department, please mark this clearly in the appropriate section on the form.
  • If you and your PI/supervisor confirm that your employment is to be extended - Emma Graham, Personnel Administrator, will contact you to confirm that the Department has processed your extension paperwork and to prompt you to undertake any other activities to ensure your extension remains seamless. You will receive an updated contract from HR sent to you directly at the Chemistry Department.
  • If you and your PI/supervisor confirm that your employment is to come to an end or neither of you provide any instructions - You will receive a formal notification letter confirming the end date of your contract and that you have the right to appeal against the decision. Emma Graham, Personnel Administrator, will contact you to outline the Department’s leaver process and action you need to take before you leave.

More information on the procedure for ending fixed term contracts is available here.


If the University wishes to terminate your employment you will be given, except in the case of serious misconduct, due notice. This will be a period of notice not less than the following:

Period of unbroken service

Notice period

Less than one year

Not less than one week

More than one year but less than five years

Not less than four weeks

More than five years but less than nine years

Not less than eight weeks

Nine years or more

Not less than twelve weeks

  • The University may not require you to work your period of notice, but instead may pay you in lieu of notice.
  • In a case where serious misconduct is alleged, the Head of Department may suspend you with pay immediately until the Human Resources Committee makes a decision.
  • If the University considers that there are grounds for dismissal for serious misconduct, you may be summarily dismissed without notice.
  • You have the right to appeal against the termination of your employment.
  • For termination of employment due to disciplinary, please refer to Termination of Employment.  
  • Much support and information is available during this process along with guidance on redeployment in the University, and you will be updated accordingly.

For help or queries, please contact Kathleen Pickett, Welfare, Training and Development Adviser or Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager.


  • The University aspires to the highest standards of teaching, research, and administration. It is important that in striving to achieve these aims institutions can plan their staffing structures to allow maximum effectiveness across these activities, whilst considering the wishes of individual employees in relation to their workplans.
  • The University does not operate a retirement age for assistant staff, contract research staff, and unestablished academic and unestablished academic-related staff. Where the employment of a University officer is extended beyond the retirement age, that employment will be in a fixed-term capacity and the individual will move from an established to an unestablished position. However, the University may continue to rely on retirement as a reason for ending the employment relationship at the end of this extended period of employment, including where there have been successive extensions.
  • The University’s Retirement policy and procedures is available online.
  • You may apply to retire earlier than your normal retirement date, but you should first seek advice on how this might affect your occupational pension, if appropriate.

Leavers Process

  • The leavers process will be activated when your resignation or notice to retire is received or your contract is confirmed as ending.
  • For academic-related staff, upon receipt of resignation or notice to retire you will receive an acceptance letter asking you to return any departmental keys, your Mifare card and any parking permit to the department.
  • You will also be asked for forwarding contact details in the event that the Department needs to contact you after you have left.