skip to content

Current Postgraduate Students



If you are unhappy with the experience or treatment you have received in the Chemistry Department in any way, we suggest that you firstly try to speak to the relevant person involved to try to resolve the issue. If this is not possible or you find that you were not able to resolve the issue following this, please approach a member of the Postgraduate Education team to try to resolve the issue. We are always here to help you. 

If it becomes clear that your complaint cannot be easily resolved, the Postgraduate Education Team will take it futher and raise the issue with one of the Responsible Officers who formally deal with graduate student complaints at a local level in this Department. They will be able to help you either by resolving the matter or by assisting you in your decision of which direction to take. 

Although we prefer you to come and talk to us at the Department first, there may be circumstances that mean you do not wish to do so. This being the case, you may also use the University Student Complaint Procedure in order to try and resolve the situation. All information and links to relevant forms, whatever the type of complaint can be found here, on the Student Complaints website.

In the event issues do arise, we recommend thorough record keeping of any incidents or communication of concern, where possible. 

Whichever avenue you choose, making a complaint can be a very stressful thing to do and you should remember that further support and advice is also available from the Departmental Tutor group, your College Postgraduate Tutor or the Students' Unions' Advice Service. If the issue is affecting your mental health in the long or short term, you may wish to speak to your GP or college nurse. The University also offers free counselling to all students here and free counselling for staff here.

**Where possible, you should aim to discuss the Code of Practice for Research Students with your supervisor at the beginning of your postgraduate studies to understand both your and their responsibilities and expectations.**


Depending on the nature and severity of your experience there are also several lines outside of the department for reporting misconduct.

Anonymous reporting

The University's anonymous reporting form enables anyone who is or has been a student, staff or visitor to the University to anonymously report any inappropriate behaviour of any kind from staff, students or members of the community, including any form of harassment (including racist, ablist, transphobic, sexist etc.), bullying, discrimination and sexual misconduct.

Find out more about anonymous reporting >

Other reporting

The University has two reporting options for reporting any form of harassment, bullying, discrimination or sexual misconduct:

  1. The Procedure for Student Harassment & Sexual Misconduct
  2. The University Disciplinary Procedure

Find out more about formal reporting >

Workshops for Assertiveness and Supervisor relationships

The University Counselling Service (UCS) runs many workshops which can help you manage your relationships with your supervisor and peers. Here are a few we particularly recommend: