skip to content
(Show all answers)

Continued professional development

Staff review and development (SRD) is an essential part of the University’s commitment to developing staff and to delivering a high quality service, providing a way of balancing your personal needs and ambitions with the University’s overall objectives. 

The review process should enhance work effectiveness and facilitate career development by encouraging staff to discuss their achievements, address challenges, set targets and consider their training and personal development requirements. it should ensure that members of staff are clear about their responsibilities and that they have a formal regular opportunity to discuss any help they may need in meeting them. 

Your reviewer is normally your line manager/supervisor. This process does not replace good management practice, nor is it used as a disciplinary tool or a means of determining pay. For Academic-related staff, your first review will be conducted 12 months after your appointment and thereafter every two years. 

Information about the Department’s Assistant staff SRD process is available online.  

The University’s Staff Review and Development Scheme provides further guidance and is a useful source of information. 

For queries regarding SRD, you should speak with your line manager or contact Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager or Kathleen Pickett, Welfare, Training and Development Adviser. 

Learning and development opportunities - You are encouraged to take an active approach to your continued development, identifying and accessing personal and professional development opportunities in conjunction with the requirements of your role, your line manager and your own career aspirations.  

The University Training Booking System provides a central point for staff of the University and its Colleges to search for and book onto a variety of training courses run by participating University training providers. 

Below is further information about the main University training providers: 

University Information Services (UIS) – The UIS exists to help you get the most out of your computing. Facilities are free and available to all staff, provided your computer use is connected with University work. The UIS also provides a wide range of training courses for all categories of staff.

Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) – The ICE offers a wide ranging and flexible programme of part-time courses to everyone over the age of eighteen, whether they are looking to develop or change their career, or just increase their level of knowledge on a particular subject.

Personal and Professional Development (PPD) - PPD facilitates learning opportunities for all university staff enabling them to achieve their potential and contribute to the provision of excellent teaching and research in the University. Their purpose is to support you in the professional and personal development of your skills, attitudes and knowledge in the areas of teaching, research, support services, management and leadership development, to help you achieve University objectives and departmental priorities

Job Opportunities Job vacancies are advertised on the University’s Job Opportunities pages. In addition, some posts are advertised in the Cambridge University Reporter (the official journal of the University of Cambridge), the local and national press, specialist publications and job sites.

Consultancy Opportunities - Any member of University staff may undertake consultancy through Cambridge Enterprise, including academic, academic-related and assistant staff, as well as PhD students and post-doctoral researchers.


Promotion is the appointment of existing members of staff to another post or office at a higher grade than the one previously held. This may be the result of either a successful application for an advertised vacancy, or, where appropriate, personal promotion.

When a member of University staff is promoted to a higher grade, the salary will increase by either two additional increments or will become the first service point on the new grade, whichever is the greater. The maximum possible scale point on promotion is the highest point on the scale below the discretionary points, that is, discretionary points on scales are not available on promotion.

For assistant staff, progression to a higher grade, other than by means of a successful application for an advertised vacancy, occurs only where the duties of underlying role have changed enough to merit regrading. The updated role description (form PD33) is assessed by Human Resources using the HERA role analysis scheme to determine the new grade. Details of the scheme are published on the Human Resources Division website.

While it is possible to achieve promotion if a post is upgraded, it is more usual to do so either by being promoted within your own institution or by transferring to another institution in the University. You may wish to consider applying for a higher-graded post, or for a post at the same grade which would give you wider experience and prepare you for promotion. Transfer from one University institution to another is considered continuous employment.

Cyber security

UIS has launched a new cyber security awareness course to help staff keep themselves and their data safe from cyber attacks. This training is now part of the induction process for new joiners, but all staff are encouraged to complete the 15-minute course to refresh their knowledge and increase their confidence in dealing with new threats. Further details are available on the IT Help and Support site

Dignity at work

The University of Cambridge is committed to protecting the dignity of staff, students, visitors to the University, and all members of the University community, in their work and their interactions with others. The University expects all members of the University community to treat each other with respect, courtesy and consideration at all times. All members of the University community have the right to expect professional behaviour from others, and a corresponding responsibility to behave professionally towards others.

The Dignity@Work policy explains this commitment and what action can be taken if its principles are not observed. Any instances that arise relating to all unlawful forms of discrimination and unacceptable behaviour – such as racial, sexual and disability harassment, as well as bullying – should be reported, in confidence, to your Supervisor, or line manager or to Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager or Kathleen Pickett, Welfare, Training and Development Adviser. The matter will be investigated thoroughly and without delay according to the approved procedures.

Key Chemistry Department contacts: Marita WalshNick BamposKathleen Pickett or your direct line manager for routine enquiries or advice. Approaches about personal or sensitive matters will be dealt with discreetly and where possible in confidence.

If you experience or observe a problem over harassment or bullying (whether you feel you are the subject of such behaviour, are accused of it, or are a witness to it) there are also Sources of Support available. If it is felt that your health is suffering, you may be encouraged to approach the Occupational Health Service and/or the Staff Counselling Service.


Employee benefits

The University offers employees a wide range of competitive benefits. The CAMbens Employee Benefits pages outline the full range of benefits currently available, but please make sure you visit the site regularly to check for new additions. 

In general, the benefits listed are available to all employees who have a contract of employment with the University and who are listed on the University payroll. Some of the salary sacrifice schemes have more specific eligibility criteria.

University employee benefits generally fall under the following categories and you are encouraged to access the most up to date information by visiting the CAMbens webpages: 


Equality and Diversity

The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity. 

Subject to statutory provisions, no student, member of staff, applicant for admission as a student, or applicant for appointment as a member of staff will be treated less favourably than another because of her or his belonging to a protected group. This commitment applies to a former student, alumnus or alumna, or former employee where the alleged unlawful conduct arises out of and is closely connected to the former student's or former staff member's previous relationship with the University.

Protected groups are defined in the Equality Act 2010 as Sex, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy or Maternity, Race (including Ethnic or National Origin, Nationality or Colour), Disability, Sexual Orientation, Age, or Religion or Belief. The University respects all religious and philosophical beliefs, as well as the lack of religion or belief, and the right of all members of its community to discuss and debate these issues freely. See here for the University’s Equal Opportunities Policy

As a result of the Department’s commitment to Equal Opportunities, all members of staff are required to complete the Equality and Diversity Essentials online training.

Key Chemistry Department contacts: Marita WalshNick BamposKathleen Pickett or your direct line manager for routine enquiries or advice.  Approaches about personal or sensitive matters will be dealt with discreetly and where possible in confidence.

The University's Equality and Diversity pages have a wealth of information including E&D@CambridgeRace Equality at Cambridge, E&D Events and details of Diversity Networks.


Grievances, capability and disciplinary matters

For assistant staff detailed information on the University's policies and procedures relating to disciplinary action, grievances and appeals is available on the Human Resources website.

Grievances - If you feel you are being treated unfairly, first talk to your local administrator or Head of Department to see if the problem can be resolved informally. If the problem persists or is very serious, you make wish to make a formal complaint to your Head of Department. If your grievance is directed against the Head of your Department, you may complain to a more senior officer. You should record instances of the problem as they occur, so that you have documentary evidence to show to the appropriate person.

Bullying and harassment - If you feel that you have been a victim of bullying or harassment, or are accused of such behaviour, the University has specific guidance on how this is dealt with through the Dignity@Work policy: see section 5e) and 5f) above. 

Disciplinary - The University's aim is to encourage improvement in individual conduct or behaviour where this falls short of required standards. The disciplinary procedure sets out the action to take when the conduct of a member of staff is unsatisfactory.

The types of conduct which may lead to disciplinary action being taken according to the procedures include:

  • Wilful failure to perform the duties of the post
  • Refusal to comply with reasonable requests from the job supervisor
  • Persistent unsatisfactory timekeeping
  • Unauthorised absence from work
  • Incapacity to perform the duties of the post effectively due to drunkenness or unauthorised drug-taking
  • Acts of discrimination against any member of the University community on the grounds of sex (including gender reassignment), marital or parental status, race, ethnic or national origin, colour, disability, sexual orientation, religion, or age
  • Bullying or harassment of any member of the University community
  • Malicious accusations of bullying or harassment against another person
  • Breach of confidentiality
  • Breach of University or departmental safety regulations or rules
  • Breach of other University or departmental regulations or rules
  • Breach of any other conditions of employment.
  • Specific guidance is available on the UIS website as to acceptable use of computer facilities, email and the internet as abuse of these can lead to disciplinary action. 

Capability policy - The separate capability procedure should be initiated for a reason related to his/her performance or capability for performing work of the kind which the member of staff concerned is employed to do:  The term ‘capability’ means capability assessed by reference to skill, aptitude, health, or any other physical or mental quality. Advice should be sought from the HR Division if it is unclear which procedure is appropriate.

Hours of work

Normally assistant staff are required to work 36.5 hours each week unless part time working has been agreed. The Department does operate a flexible working policy (flexi-time) for all clerical, secretarial and technical staff, with the exception of staff appointed to posts with fixed hours.

Normal working hours (assistant staff )   07.30 - 18.30 Monday to Friday 

Core Time (when all staff must be at work):

Monday – Friday                                      10.00am – 12.00

                                                                 14.30 – 16.00 

Lunch break must be a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 2 hours between 12.00 - 14.30. 

For members of staff working flexi-time, a maximum of 10 excess worked hours can be carried over to the next month. Individuals are allowed up to one day or two half days off a month to use excess hours. Permission for flexi leave must be granted by the member of staff’s line manager. An individual’s debit must not exceed 5 hours at any time and must be made up by the end of the month i.e. nil.

You must request and agree all flexi leave in advance with your manager

For staff working part time, core time, overall time and lunch breaks must be agreed before commencement of part time working. 

Flexible working 

The University's Flexible Working Policy sets out the procedure to be followed when staff ask to work flexibly.

Staff wanting to request a change to their existing working pattern permanently should read this policy and discuss their proposal with their immediate supervisor, Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager or Kathleen Pickett, Welfare, Training and Development Adviser before applying.

Permanent changes should be requested on the FLEXAF form and temporary changes requested in writing.

Both should be submitted to Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager or Kathleen Pickett, Welfare, Training and Development Adviser.


Annual leave 

For Assistant staff, holiday entitlement runs from January to December. If you start work after the beginning of the leave year your entitlement for that year will be calculated pro rata to the proportion of the leave year remaining.

Holiday entitlement for full time assistant staff is 36 days annually (including bank holidays); pro rata for part time staff. You are entitled to additional long-service leave of one day after nine years of unbroken service and subsequently one additional day for each period of three years of unbroken service up to a maximum of four days after eighteen years of service. A maximum of five days can be carried over and must be used within three months of the new year.  

The Department closes over the Christmas and Easter period. This holiday is deducted at the beginning of each year and will be shown on your online leave calendar. The department is open on all other public holidays as normal working days, therefore staff are required to book these days as with all leave.

If you are asked by your line manager to work on a public holiday you will be compensated in accordance with the rules set out in the University’s online assistant staff handbook.

On occasion leave may not be granted if it does not meet the Department’s needs. During the busy summer holiday period, technical and secretarial staff ensure that there is adequate cover in order that the Department can remain open and fully functional. 

If you have leave owing to you at the end of your employment, with the agreement of the Support Services Manager you may be entitled to receive payment in lieu of the untaken leave. Similarly, a deduction will be taken from your final salary payment if you have already taken more leave than you are entitled to.

You must request and agree all annual leave in advance with your manager.

Leave for personal or family reasons

Sick leave - Sickness Absence policy

A day of sickness is defined as a day or part of a day on which you are incapable of your normal work because of a specific illness, disease, or disability. This term covers injury at work, and precautionary reasons as advised by a doctor e.g. convalescence, contact with infectious diseases. It does not, however, cover time off work because you have to care for a member of your family. 

Sickness absence procedure - All staff must report incapacity for work. 

If you are unfit for work due to illness, please contact your line manager by phone or email on the first day of your absence and email

Please let them know the following (as set out in the Sickness Absence Policy):

  • The nature of the illness or injury;
  • The expected approximate length of absence from work;
  • Contact details;
  • Whether the absence may be due to an injury at work or otherwise perceived to be related to work; and
  • Any outstanding or urgent work that requires attention.

If you are unable to contact the department due to your illness, you should make alternative arrangements e.g ask a family member to call or emaill on your behalf.

On or before your return to work you must submit a Sickness Self Certificate (form CHRIS/62) to cover any sickness that has lasted for up to seven calendar days in a row to the Personnel Administration Office. If the sickness lasts longer than seven days you must also submit a doctor's statement/s to cover all further absence to the Personnel Administration Office. If you do not do this, your pay may be withheld.

You should keep in regular contact with your line manager so that s/he knows when to expect you back and it is important that details of your absence are supplied to the Personnel Administration Office to ensure that you receive the correct sickness pay. 

Completed CHRIS/62 forms should be returned to Emma Graham, Personnel Administrator, Kathleen Pickett, Welfare, Training and Development Adviser or Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager.

Rates of pay during absence due to sickness

If you are absent from work on account of sickness you will normally receive a payment in lieu of salary, which is equal to your normal salary, for a period which depends on your length of service (see below).

For assistant staff, the rates of pay during absence due to sickness are:  

Period of unbroken service

Sick leave with pay

At a rate equal to normal pay

At a rate equal to half normal pay

Less than 1 year

8 weeks

8 weeks

1 or more years but less than 3 years

12 weeks

12 weeks

3 or more years but less than 5 years

20 weeks

20 weeks

5 or more years

26 weeks

26 weeks

If you are absent through sickness at the date at which your entitlement to payment would increase, you will not gain the new entitlement until you have returned to work and have worked for a continuous period of one month.

The rate and period for which payment may be made is calculated according to the sick leave which you have taken during the 365 days before the first day of sickness. This means that any sick leave taken during that time will count as part of your sick leave entitlement for the current period of sickness.

If you are frequently absent through sickness or have a single prolonged absence, you may be referred to the University's Occupational Health Service for a medical opinion. You may also be asked to authorise the Director of Human Resources to approach your own doctor for further information about your health. Your Head of Department may also ask you to produce a doctor's statement for all absences however short if there is concern about your level of sickness absence.

Attending medical appointments

Attending routine medical appointments is not normally regarded as sickness absence. Members of staff should consult their line manager where such attendance would entail taking time off work.

Maternity Leave

Staff seeking maternity leave are advised to follow the guidance set out in the University’s Maternity Policy.

Regardless of your length of service, an expectant mother may apply for a maximum of 52 weeks maternity leave. This period consists of 18 weeks' paid leave, then 21 weeks’ Statutory Maternity Pay, if eligible, followed by up to 13 weeks' unpaid leave. 

Notification of intention to take maternity leave - An employee should give notice of her intention to take maternity leave, and the intended start date, by the 15th week before her expected week of childbirth (using form CHRIS/60), unless this is not reasonably practicable, in which case she should give as much notice as is reasonably practicable. When submitting the CHRIS/60 form the applicant should attach a formal certificate from a doctor or midwife stating the expected week of childbirth (form Mat B1).

Notification of return to work from maternity leave - If an employee intends to return to work at the end of her full 52 week maternity leave period she is not required to give notice of her return. However, if an employee wants to extend her maternity leave, return earlier than a date previously specified or is planning not to return, she is required to give 8 weeks’ notice of this intention using form CHRIS/61.

Risk Assessment for Expectant and Nursing Mothers - Particular attention needs to be given to assessing any work-related risks to health issues during pregnancy. A Risk Assessment for Expectant and Nursing Mothers should be undertaken as soon as possible to ensure that working conditions are acceptable. For this reason, it is important to let your supervisor/line manager know as early as possible. If you would prefer to speak with someone other your line manager regarding the pregnancy risk assessment, please contact:

  • Kathleen Pickett, Welfare, Training and Development Adviser
  • Marita Walsh, Support Services Manager
  • Occupational Health Service

All maternity related forms should be returned to Kathleen Pickett or Marita Walsh.

Paternity Leave

Steeking paternity leave guidance set out in the University’s Paternity Policy

Employees who apply for ordinary paternity leave and meet the University criteria (i.e. that satisfactory arrangements can be made to cover for the absence at no extra cost to the University) will receive up to 2 weeks leave at full pay.

Notification of intention to take paternity leave - An employee must provide notification, using Form CHRIS/65, no later than the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth or within 7 days of the date the adoption agency tell the person adopting the child they have been matched with the child.

Completed paternity forms should be returned to Kathleen Pickett or Marita Walsh.

Ordinary Parental Leave

Staff seeking parental leave are advised to follow the guidance set out in the University’s Ordinary Parental Leave Policy

Notification of parental leave - The member of staff should give notice, using CHRIS/66 form  at least 21 days' before the requested date of leave.

Shared Parental Leave - staff seeking shared parental leave are advised to follow the guidance in the Shared Parental Leave policy. For further departmental advice please contact Kathleen Pickett.

Adoption leave - Staff seeking adoption leave are advised to follow the guidance set out in the University’s Adoption Leave Policy.

Notification of adoption leave - An employee must give notice of his/her intention to take adoption leave within 7 days of being notified by their adoption agency that they have been matched with a child for adoption, unless this is not reasonably practicable. This notice, using CHRIS/64 form should state when the child is expected to be placed and when the adopter wants their adoption leave to start. A 'matching certificate' which will be provided by the adoption agency should be submitted. 

Special leave

The University recognises that there may be occasions when employees need to take time off work for reasons that do not necessarily fall under normal leave provisions. A range of special leave options are summarised below. For further details please consult the University’s Special Leave policy.



Conditions and documentation

Compassionate leave

The existing compassionate leave provisions under the Assistant Staff Rules, Assistant Staff Handbook, Staff Guide and Summary of Leave Table will apply. Further guidance is available.

Compassionate leave covers bereavement or serious illness of a close family member or dependant. It is granted according to the circumstances. 

Emergency leave

Normally up to 2 days unpaid leave on each occasion. May be combined with compassionate leave/annual leave as appropriate.

Emergency leave covers genuine unforeseen emergences for reasons connected with dependants or unexpected domestic or other emergencies. It is granted according to the circumstances. 

Essential civic and public duties

The University will grant reasonable unpaid time off to those employees who hold public positions as set out under s.50 of the Employment Rights Act 1996.

The employee should complete form CHRIS/68. Documentation from the relevant official body will be required in support of the application.

Service in the Reserve Forces

Reservists required to undertake training on a normal working day will be required to take annual leave or may request unpaid leave.

Where the employee is called up this will be treated as unpaid leave. The employee should complete form CHRIS/68. Documentation from the relevant official body will be required in support of the application.

Jury Service

The University will ‘top up’ any sums reimbursed to the level of the employee's normal salary.

The employee should complete form CHRIS/68. The jury summons should be provided in support of the application. A receipt of reimbursement must also be provided within 3 months, where applicable.

Attendance in court as a witness

If summonsed to appear as a witness in a private capacity, the employee may request annual leave or unpaid leave.

Annual leave should be requested in the normal way or the employee should complete form CHRIS/68 to request unpaid leave. The witness summons should be provided where applicable.

Fertility treatment

Up to 5 days paid leave in a 12 month period for female employees undergoing fertility treatment, or up to 2 days paid leave to provide support to a partner who is undergoing fertility treatment.

Individuals who are following a course of fertility treatment and have been employed by the University for one continuous year are eligible to apply. The employee should complete form CHRIS/68. Confirmation of treatment will be required at the point of application.

Surgery/procedures and elective surgery

Time off for surgery or treatment and recuperation that relates to a medical or psychological condition and is supported by a medical certificate, will be treated as sick leave in the same manner as any other medical appointment.

In cases of elective surgery, treatment and recuperation (i.e. cosmetic and/or surgery not medically necessary), annual leave should be taken in the first instance or unpaid leave if appropriate and in agreement with the institution concerned.

The employee should complete form CHRIS/68. Medical certification may be required as set out in policy.

Gender reassignment

Requests for time off for medical treatment relating to gender reassignment will be managed and recorded in accordance with the University Ill-Health and Sickness Absence procedures, ie treated as time off for illness or other medical appointments.

Reasonable requests for time off for non-medical treatment will be considered subject to operational requirements. Normally annual leave or unpaid leave will be considered for these purposes.

The employee should complete form CHRIS/68. Medical certification may be required as set out in policy.

Religious or belief-related obligations

Employees may use their annual leave entitlement to request time off for religious or belief-related purposes.

Annual leave should be requested in the normal way.

Voluntary work

Annual leave entitlement must be used for the days that the employee will be absent from work. Unpaid leave may be granted under exceptional circumstances.

Annual leave should be requested in the normal way. For exceptional circumstances requests for unpaid leave to undertake voluntary work should be submitted by completing form CHRIS/68. Documentation from the relevant organisation will be required in support of the application.

Temporary Flexible Working

Type of Leave

Stipend Normally Payable


Graduated return from maternity leave

Statute D II 6(c)

Form CHRIS/67

Pro rata for up to 12 months; Minimum of 20%, rising to min 50% of full time within 12 months

No additional cost to the University


The University operates in a largely decentralized manner and there are many opportunities for networking, both formally and informally. You are encouraged to develop as many professional and social contacts as you can throughout the University and the Colleges. 

Diversity Networks - The University’s diversity plays a key role in sustaining academic excellence and a number of diversity networks exist to progress equality: 

Diversity networks are open to individuals who work for the University, a College or an associated institution and are members of one of the above protected groups. 

Outside interests

If you wish to take on part-time employment outside working hours you should discuss this with your line manager.



Payment of salaries for all staff is monthly and in arrears on the 26th of each month or the Friday before it if the 26th is a non-working day.  Exceptions may occur during the Christmas and Easter months. 

Salary scales

Each post is assigned to a specific grade, within the grading structure 1–12. Each grade contains a number of salary points, some of which are service-related, with others designated ‘contribution points’. 

Appointment is at a specific salary point in the range for the grade of post and your letter of appointment and contract tell you where your salary falls on that scale. 

The University reserves the right to withhold payment of salary for any days when you are absent from work without permission or medical certification.

Details of the grading structure and single salary spine are published in the HR section of the University’s website.

Annual pay review

The annual pay review date for all staff is 1 August. The salary spine is then adjusted to take account of nationally agreed pay settlements.


You may be required to work reasonable overtime, but overtime is worked only when necessary in the interests of the University, and must be authorised beforehand by the Support Services Manager. No compensation will be made for any overtime that has not been authorised in advance. You will be compensated for authorised overtime worked either by payment or by time off in lieu. The Support Services Manager will decide whether payment or time off in lieu is granted. The hourly rates for calculating overtime or time off in lieu are:

For overtime worked Monday to Saturday (at any time): 1.5 × basic hourly rate (i.e. an additional payment for the hours worked at half normal rate), or time off in lieu at the rate of 1.5 hours for each hour of overtime worked.

For overtime worked on Sunday (at any time): 2 × basic hourly rate (i.e. an additional payment of the hourly rate for hours worked) or time off in lieu at the rate of 2 hours for each hour of overtime worked.

Roles and responsibilities

All staff have certain defined responsibilities and duties

For assistant staff, a detailed description of duties is compiled for each office or post, using the standard format of Form PD33. You should receive a copy of the PD33 for your post, from your institution, on taking up appointment which you are asked to read and sign to confirm you understand the requirements of the role.

The job description (PD33) outlines the activities and responsibilities of your post and identifies the person or persons to whom you are immediately responsible. The job description is not exhaustive and you may be expected to carry out other duties appropriate to the grade of your post on the request of your supervisor or the Head of the Department.

If you are asked to work at a level higher than the grade of your post for a prolonged period, you may be paid an allowance to take account of the higher level of duties. 

Because the needs of the University and the Department change with time your job description may change too to take account of differing needs for work. You will be consulted about any permanent changes to your duties. If there is a substantial change in your duties your job description may be re-evaluated. The procedure is described below.

All support staff posts except for a few temporary appointments are assigned to one of the Divisions of staff, and to a grade within the Division:

  • Clerical, Library, and Secretarial Staff (CS Division) 
  • General and Ancillary Staff (M Division) 
  • Technical and Related Staff (T Division)

For further detailed information please see the HR Assistant Staff Handbook.

Staff have a duty to observe the University's required practice and behaviour relating to: health and safetybullying and harassment; equal opportunitiesuse of IT and data protection. The HR website has a complete list of all HR policies and procedures.

Salary progression

Progression through the service related points on each grade will normally be by automatic annual progression, with the possibility in most grades of accelerated incremental progression in recognition of outstanding and sustained contribution. Progression to and through these ‘contribution points’ will not be automatic and will be based on assessment of the contribution of individuals in their roles. 

Service-related Increments - Incremental progression through the service-related points in grades 1 to 10 occurs on the incremental date. 

For Assistant staff who have been in post for at least three months, this is normally 1 April for the General and Ancillary Staff (M Division), 1 July for the Clerical, Library and Secretarial Staff (CS Division), 1 October for the Technical and Related Staff (T Division).

Contribution Increments – Additional increments and discretionary payments are awarded where an employee's performance is considered to be at an outstanding level, over and above the level normally required for the grade, and this performance has been maintained over a long period of time. In considering recommendations the criteria include: outstanding performance, the specialist nature of the work undertaken, the rarity value of skill involved, the output of work achieved, and any other factors which may make the award appropriate.

Most salary scales contain discretionary points which are marked with an asterisk on the published scales. You will not move automatically to these points. If you are at the top of the normal scale you may be considered for progression to a discretionary point in recognition of exceptional performance in the post. If you are not at the top of the normal scale you may be considered for an award of an additional increment in recognition of exceptional performance in the post. Heads of Institution make recommendations for contribution payments and additional increments to Awarding committees. Requests are considered once a year.

An annual increment may be withheld, or a discretionary payment or additional increment withdrawn, if an assistant staff member is subject to a disciplinary procedure because of their performance or conduct.

Contribution reward schemes - To recognise outstanding and sustained performance, the following contribution reward schemes are available:

  • Assistant and Academic-related staff appointed to grades 1 to 11 are eligible for contribution increments via the Contribution Reward Scheme. Requests are considered once a year.
  • The University runs an annual Professional Services Recognition Scheme, which aims to recognise, highlight and celebrate the very best work across all professional service areas in the University.

Travel insurance

To apply for travel insurance, employees must declare their travel plans on-line to the University’s Insurance section. If you do not register your trip before you travel, you will not be covered.

Employees should use this system to declare their travel plans. Once you have entered the required data the system will automatically issue you with a letter from the University Insurance Manager confirming that you have insurance for your trip. You should keep the letter of confirmation of insurance in a safe place as it contains important information you will need in the event of a claim. You may also be asked to provide confirmation of travel insurance when entering the country you intend to visit or when applying for a visa.


During the application process you will be asked to provide:

  • Department/division or subsidiary company name
  • Your payroll number (from your current wage slip)
  • The countries to be visited
  • The dates of your journey
  • The purpose of your journey
  • Confirmation of good health and that where you have a medical condition your doctor has agreed to the trip.

Once you have entered the required data the system will issue confirmation of insurance, an outline of the main policy benefits and exclusions and details for the FirstAssist Emergency Service.

University travellers must ALWAYS register their journey and print out confirmation of cover PRIOR to making any trip outside the UK.