skip to content

Current Postgraduate Students



You may need to travel to present your work at a conference in the UK, Europe, or even farther abroad.  This will not only help expose you to interesting research and other academics who share your research interests, but it is a fundamental part of your research training, improving your presentation and networking skills.  Travel is also usually an essential part of fieldwork and presents new opportunities and challenges.  

The Department of Chemistry holds bursary funds to help support student travel to conferences (including associated costs such as accommodation, subsistence and registration fees) and for other purposes. Students in the Department of Chemistry may apply for bursaries of a maximum amount of £500 (PhD) and £300 (MPhil). Students are able to make a maximum of 2 applications (PhD) and a maximum of 1 application (MPhil) during the course of their studies. There is no carry-over of funds from one year to the next for PhD students, i.e. £500 maximum per year. Students should ensure that they explore any support available from either their College, PhD/MPhil funding source and supervisor before applying for Departmental funds using the Travel Bursary Application Form. We expect that students will normally be planning to present a poster or speak at the conference which they apply to be funded for.

As with all study/work related travel during your studies, please make sure that you have the right travel insurance in place before you go.  Details of the University Travel Insurance Policy and how to arrange cover can be found here.

When to apply? Applications are considered by the Postgraduate Education Committee every time they meet (at least once per term). You will normally be notified within a week following the meeting at which your application is considered whether you have been successful and, although we prefer students to apply for funds before they attend conferences, we realise that this is not always possible due to the timings of the PEC meetings.


**Please note that that ADTIS In-sessional programme for internationals students is not an eligible course**

You may apply for a bursary for one of the following only:

You are advised that many Colleges, at their own discretion, will also provide support for CULP course fees and you should enquire in your College.

If the College part-funds or does not fund the language training, you can apply online via this link. Applicants will be required to demonstrate why this language training is a requirement to support their research and/or employability. 

Bursary applications will be considered in 2 cycles each year (Michaelmas and Lent).

The Language Centre also has a special Pressland Fund for Scientists that enables postgrads and undergrads to go on a short intensive course abroad in a country where the language is spoken.They just need to provide evidence of recent commitment to language study. Applications run from early December to early February.


Cambridge Philosophical Society: Offer Research Studentships and Travel Grants every year to successful applicants who have been members of the society for twelve months or more when they apply.